Timothy R. Billiar, MD
- Associate Senior Vice Chancellor for Clinical Academics, Health Sciences
- George Vance Foster Professor and Chair, Department of Surgery
- Distinguished Professor of Surgery
- Executive Vice President and Chief Scientific Officer at UPMC
- Associate Medical Director, UPMC International and Commercial Services Division
Dr. Timothy Billiar has served as the George Vance Foster professor and chair of the Department of Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh since 1999. As the associate senior vice chancellor for clinical academics, he invests in the academic success of the clinical departments to enhance our strong clinical and translational research partnership with UPMC with an eye toward the future of academic medicine.
Dr. Billiar completed his surgical residency at the University of Minnesota and at Pitt after earning his BA in natural sciences at Doane College and his MD at the University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine. His research has been recognized with membership in the National Academy of Medicine.
Dr. Billiar was named executive vice president and chief scientific officer at UPMC in 2021. He also serves as a senior scientific advisor for UPMC Enterprises, UPMC International and the UPMC Immune Transplant and Therapy Center, a partnership between the University of Pittsburgh and UPMC.
Dr. Billiar’s laboratory has been funded by the NIH for over three decades. He currently holds a T32 trauma training grant and R35 grant from the NIH, and a CMDRP award from the DoD. He holds seven U.S. patents associated with his research.